Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Someday I will read another wonderful piece of literature, but I took a break. All writing should be considered literature because it's all reading, but I know from my English classes during university that a book such as this, would not have been a part of the syllabus.

Now that I've got that out, I really enjoyed it. I've read two other books by Candace Bushnell, and while I liked them, I didn't enjoy them like I did this one. It was more of a story. Sex and The City was a collection of articles. This was a story about Carrie in high school. The only familiar character was Carrie. I always think about the television series, and that's what I compare to all books involving these characters. I know it's supposed to be the other way around, but really, the book did come after.

The book is basically about Carrie's journey to both New York City and to becoming a writer. This is going to sound terrible, but the last chapter was my favourite because she gets to New York, and calls a familiar character from Sex and the City.

I'll be honest, I read it a month ago, and once again didn't write as soon as I should have. Therefore, I can't quite remember all the details. I think I just liked the way Carrie's mind worked. The way she reacted to things seemed very human, and maybe a little like me. The Carrie's history in the book is different than her history in the TV series, but because it's completely different writers, I guess that's understandable. Also -everybody may not catch it, but I've seen every episode more than once.

Anyway, it was good. I'd probably read it again. (maybe because it makes me feel young to read books set in high school).

No comments:

Post a Comment